If you have any questions, please contact the Engineering Department at 763-706-3700. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
- Main Street from 40th Avenue to 37th Avenue
- 37th Avenue from Main Street to 5th Street (joint project with the City of Minneapolis
The project is substantially complete with only pavement marking remaining.
2019 Proposed Construction Projects:
1) 2019 Water Main Replacement
Due to the number of water main breaks over the years, the following water main will be replaced:
- 39th Avenue, Hayes Street to Arthur Street
- Arthur Street, 39th Avenue to 40th Avenue
- Stinson Boulevard at 43rd Avenue
2) 37th Avenue Street Rehabilitation
In 2019 the City of Columbia Heights and the City of Minneapolis are partnering to resurface 37th Ave NE from 5th St NE to Central Ave NE. This project is a continuation of the 2018 resurfacing that occurred from Main St NE to 5th St NE. Part of the 2019 project includes exploring how to include a bicycle facility along this section of 37th Avenue.
3) Concrete Alley Reconstruction
Due to their deteriorated condition, the following alleys are proposed to be reconstructed to a new concrete surface:
- Washington to Jefferson Streets, 41st to 42nd Avenues
- Madison to Monroe Streets, 40th to 41st Avenues
- Madison to Monroe Streets, 42nd to 43rd Avenues
4) Silver Lake Boat Landing Storm Water Pond
This project involves reconstructing the existing regional pond located near Silver Lake. The pond receives runoff from an area tributary to 41st Avenue and to the west. Silver Lake has an approved TMDL and this project will reduce the phosphorus loading to Silver Lake, and assist in meeting the City’s loading requirement. Currently the pond inlet and outlet are located near each other, which reduces the effectiveness of water quality treatments. A treatment train approach will be employed using both wet pond and infiltration prior to discharging into Silver Lake.
5) University Avenue Trail and Decorative Fence, 37th to 40th Avenues (east)
With recent redevelopment, part of this segment does have paved bituminous trail or concrete sidewalk and a decorative fence north of 37th Avenue. This project would complete the pedestrian connection up to 40th Avenue along with similar fencing to provide separation from University Avenue.
6) Wargo Court Master Plan Wargo Court Park is a mini-park located at the northwest corner of Central Avenue and 41st Avenue. No major work has been performed at Wargo Court in recent years, focusing only on maintaining the park. The primary feature of the fountain is beyond repair and is in need of replacement. The electrical serving the site is undersized and old and trips repeatedly. The site amenities such as the retaining walls and landscaping are dilapidated and in need of a complete replacement.
The Park and Recreation Commission have completed master planning of six (6) parks, culminating in the reconstruction of each of these parks. The intent of a Master Plan is to provide a detailed plan of the entire park for redevelopment. Therefore, it is the desire of the Park and Recreation Commission and City Staff to have a detailed working plan to rehabilitate or rebuild elements of the park in phases, as funding becomes available.
7) Traffic Signal Replacement: Central Avenue at 41st Avenue (MnDOT project)
MnDOT is scheduled to completely replace the traffic signal at this intersection in 2019. The work will include new signal bases, poles and arms, new LED lights, new controller, new LED street name signs and a new Emergency Vehicle Pre-emption System ("EVP System") and Accessible Pedestrian Signals ("APS").
Future Construction Projects:
2019 Minneapolis Water Works
Minneapolis Water Works plans to replace old water main valve vaults/manholes at the intersection of 40th Avenue and Reservoir Boulevard in 2019. It is expected that traffic will need to be detoured for approximately two weeks, including Metro Transit buses. A traffic control plan is being established and will be available once the construction date is finalized.
37th Avenue Reconstruction: Central Avenue to Stinson Boulevard
The cities of Columbia Heights and Minneapolis are jointly pursuing funding to help support the complete reconstruction of 37th Avenue from Central Avenue to Stinson Boulevard. The future construction would include a new street section, utility replacement, sidewalk and/or trails and storm water. The addition of street lighting is also being evaluated.
Central Avenue Safety Improvements Phase II: 43rd to 47th Avenues
This project would continue the safety improvements installed in the 2016 project from 47th to 51st Avenues. Work would include new LED street and pedestrian lighting, new sidewalks, new signage and minor right-of-way acquisition. Staff is pursuing funding to help support the estimated $1.7 million dollar project cost.
53rd Avenue Safety Improvements: Central Avenue to Sullivan Lake Park
The cities of Columbia Heights and Fridley are jointly pursuing funding to help support the roadway improvements consisting of a raised concrete median, a modified roundabout, new pavement, and a paved trail connecting to Sullivan Lake Park from Central Avenue.