Art Contest and Wall Calendar
2023 Calendars are no longer for sale.
Review a pdf of the city calendar here
Art of Columbia Heights 2023 City Calendar Submissions Deadline was nov 1, 2022
The theme of the City's 2023 wall calendar is the Art of Columbia Heights. The calendar will include important date reminders relevant to Columbia Heights and it will feature select photos and images submitted for consideration by area residents. Three categories of submissions were eligible:
- Paintings, drawings, or graphic designs by Columbia Heights residents or of Columbia Heights landmarks,
- Photos of art, architecture, performances, artists, and other artistic things in Columbia Heights,
- Photos taken within Columbia Heights that are particularly artistic by themselves or edited in artistic ways (think collage, creative filtering, or mixed media).
The calendar will be available for $10 starting in early December. Check back here for updates, or pre-order your calendar at the link above.
Submission Guidelines and Recommendations
• If you are not a Columbia Heights resident, your photos or art pieces must be relevant to the City in some way (a photo taken at a City event, a painting featuring a City landmark, etc.). If you are a Columbia Heights resident, your art pieces do not necessarily need to meet that requirement.
• Email images to firstname.lastname@example.org as attachments.
• Horizontal photos will be prioritized over vertical photos. The calendar pages are printed in landscape format.
• Non-digital photos may be scanned and emailed. If you do not have access to a scanner or to email, you may bring your photos to City Hall, 590 40th Avenue NE, during business hours to be scanned by staff.
• No entry fees to participate.
• Entries must be submitted by the artist or their guardian if they are under 18. Artists also must obtain permission to use images that depict art that isn't their own, and provide credit.
• Open to residents and non-residents alike
• Amateur, as well as professional artists, are welcome to enter the contest; anyone can submit, including City staff
• By submitting an entry to the contest, the submitter grants permission to the City of Columbia Heights the use of the photo(s), and rights associated to the use of the photographic likeness, in promotional materials, on the City’s website, in the City’s newsletter and other social media accounts, without compensation. Images used for these purposes will always include proper photo credit.
• Photos from previous years may also be considered
• Use "Art of Columbia Heights Submission” in the subject line of your email. Within the email, include your name, as you would like it to appear in any publications of your image, image title, any additional credits, contact info, and captions.
• If you do not receive a confirmation email within two business weeks after submitting your photo, please call 763-706-3615 to confirm the image has been received.
• Special consideration given to images with clear thematic ties to Columbia Heights
• Submissions from or representing a range of seasons are ideal for a calendar.
Last year's calendar
The City’s Pets of Columbia Heights Calendar included 2022 dates and event info relevant to Columbia Heights and photos submitted of City pets selected with the help of communications staff from Golden Valley, Maplewood, and Ramsey County. Those whose photos were selected received a free calendar. We received 85 photo submissions. In addition to the 12 featured images, dozens of other pet photos will be sprinkled throughout the calendar. Thank you to all who submitted!