Fire Hydrant Flushing to Begin April 5
Fire hydrant flushing is scheduled to begin on Mon, April 5, for the NE Quadrant of Columbia Heights. Flushing will proceed with the SE Quadrant on Mon, April 12, then the NW Quadrant on Mon, April 26, and concluding with the SW Quadrant on Mon, May 3 (schedule is weather dependent). Hydrants will be flushed from 7 am to 3 pm Mon-Fri.
Fire hydrant flushing schedule:
- North of 45th Avenue, East of Central Avenue begins April 5
- South of 45th Avenue, East of Central Avenue begins April 12
- North of 45th Avenue, West of Central Avenue begins April 26
- South of 45th Avenue, West of Central Avenue begins May 3
It is necessary to flush all fire hydrants in the city for several reasons:
- To ensure that hydrants are in good working condition.
- To flush out sediment and rust deposits that accumulate in the water system.
- To evaluate water pressure and flow throughout the city.
You may notice some temporary discoloration of the water while hydrant flushing is taking place in your area. The discoloration is caused by iron particles that have been dislodged from the water mains.
We recommend that you avoid washing clothes while hydrants are being flushed in your area, as discolored water may leave stains on your clothes. If your water is discolored, flush your residential system by running the cold water (perhaps water your lawn or trees) for 10 to 20 minutes.
NOTE: Additional localized hydrant flushing may be necessary throughout the spring, summer and fall to maintain and/or improve water quality.