Just Two Weeks Left to File for Your Renter's Property Tax and Homestead Credit Refunds


Don't Leave Money on the Table: Deadline to File for a Property Tax Refund is Aug 15
Whether you rent or own, you could potentially get back hundreds if not thousands of dollars by filing for your renter’s property tax refund or homestead credit refund. Homeowners may also be eligible for a special refund.

Deadline to file is Aug 15. 

Homeowners can file for a refund electronically here, or file by paper by downloading form M1PR here. Special refund: If your net property tax on your homestead increased by more than 12 percent from 2017 to 2018, and the increase was $100 or more, you may also be eligible for a special refund. You may qualify for the special refund even if you do not qualify for the homestead credit refund. If you qualify, complete lines 18 through 30 on form M1PR. For a more detailed explanation about the special refund, go here.

Renters can use form M1PR here to file for their refund by paper. Renters may need a specific software product to file electronically. For questions about filing electronically, call 651-296-3781 or go here. To file for a refund, renters must have a Certificate of Rent Paid (CRP form). Aside from a few exceptions, landlords must provide a CRP to renters by March 1. If there’s a disagreement about the amount of rent paid, or if your landlord refuses to provide or correct a CRP by March 1, you may request a Rent Paid Affidavit from the Minnesota Department of Revenue. Get more info about that and other special renter situations here.
What Happens if You Miss the Deadline?
If you miss the Aug 15 deadline, you may file Form M1PR and claim a refund for up to one year after the original due date, but after that you will not be able to receive a refund. This means that if you forgot to file an M1PR for the 2016 tax year, you only have two weeks left to be eligible for a 2016 refund.

For more information and to track your refund, go here.