Emergency Water or Sewer Service


Emergency Water and / or Sewer Service
For Emergency Water or Sewer Service Call
    • Weekdays: 7:00 am - 3:30 pm (763) 706-3700 
After hours: (763) 427-1212 or 911 

The after-hours phone number for a sewer backup or water break is for the Anoka County Emergency dispatcher. They will answer the phone "Police and Fire". Inform them of your problem and they will contact the appropriate person for the service needed.

Water Service
Property owners are responsible for the water service from the house or structure to the water main in the street, including the corporation stop at the water main and curb stop at the right-of-way.

The operation, maintenance, and repairs to the water service are the responsibility of the owner of the property served.  All costs incurred due to service related problems are the responsibility of the property owner.

Frozen Water Service Lines
During extreme frost conditions it is possible for homeowners to experience issues with frozen water service lines.  If the water line freezes, you will be without water.  Property owners are responsible for the water service line from the meter in the house to the main out in the street. Thawing frozen service lines and plumbing can be costly.  Frost is pushed lower into the ground as the weather warms up, so the risk of frozen service lines can continue until March or April.  However, there are steps you can take to keep water lines from freezing.

Property owners are responsible for thawing frozen water service lines.  Due to the risk of fire and/or property damage, the City does not recommend the use of an electric welder.

Frozen Water in Internal Pipes
If internal pipes have frozen, the property owner should attempt to get heat into the affected area by opening ceiling tiles, doors, and insulation and sealing off the cold air source that caused the plumbing to freeze.  If you're unable to thaw the plumbing, contact a plumber to assist you.  If your plumbing is leaking and you are not able to shut off the water supply, contact the City and we will attempt to turn off your curb stop.

Sewer Backups
If wastewater is backing up and no water is being used in your building, the city sewer is probably plugged and you should call the city immediately. When in doubt, call the city first. During normal business hours call the Public Works Department at (763) 706-3700. After hours, call (763) 427-1212 or 911. 

If wastewater is backing up only when you are using water, the plug is likely in the service line and is the responsibility of the property owner. A qualified sewer cleaning contractor should be called to service the line. 

The property owner is responsible for maintaining the sanitary sewer service from their building up to and including the connection to the main sewer line.