Rental properties are initially inspected by the City’s Building Official for State and City Code compliance. Once the property conforms to all State and City Building Codes, the property is turned over to the Fire Department for licensing. If you are looking for information about a property that is currently licensed, please call the Fire Department at (763) 706-8156.
- Download the Community Development’s Initial Rental Inspection Application here.
- Fill out the Initial Rental Inspection Application and submit it, along with the inspection fee, to the Community Development Department.
- Contact the City of Columbia Heights Community Development Department at 763-706-3670 to set up an initial inspection of the interior and the exterior of the new rental property.
- An initial inspection will be performed and any violations found will need to be corrected in order to proceed with the licensing process. A copy of the Building Department's Initial Rental Property Inspection checklist can be found here.
- Once the property is found compliant with codes, proof of inspection compliance will be issued to the owner.
Applications for licensing will NOT be accepted without proof of inspection compliance.
- Once your property is code compliant and you have received the proof of inspection compliance, download a Fire Department Rental Property License Application for a new Rental property.
- Call the Fire Department Inspection Office at (763) 706-8156 to get the current fee schedule for your property’s new rental license.
- Submit the proof of inspection compliance, application, and fees to the Fire Department and your initial license will be issued. NO APPLICATIONS will be accepted without all of the listed information.
- You CANNOT put tenants in your rental unit until this paperwork has been completed.
Payment for the license fees can be made in person at the inspection office or by mail. If payment is made by mail, the check should be made out to the City of Columbia Heights and accompanied with a complete rental license application and proof of initial inspection. Please mail the check and these documents to the Columbia Heights Fire Department at the following address:
ATTN: Rental Inspection Office
825 41st Ave. NE
Columbia Heights, MN 55421